Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Wednesday's Words on a Friday






The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.
The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.
This month the words are supplied by Lissa and can be found here.
This week's words are:

1. birthday
2. dream
3. cake
4. sugar
5. wishes
6. grant  

and/or:

1. joyride
2. promise
3. wishing well
4. ghost
5. flowers
6. love

My story this week is NOT related to the previous chapters, something completely different. I hope you are not disappointed. I have added some pictures for which I thank Google Images.



 The Perfect Birthday Party

I lay in bed thinking about my birthday, it was still three months away, but I would be ten. My first double digit birthday! I thought about what Mum had said earlier this afternoon. “If I could grant you three wishes, what would you like your birthday party to be this year?” As I opened my mouth to answer, she shushed me and said I should take my time and think very carefully about these wishes, perhaps not all of them could be granted.

With thoughts of sugary cakes in my head, I decided I should sleep on it and maybe it would come to me in a dream. When I woke the next morning, I recalled vague snippets of a dream, and quickly wrote down what I remembered. Over the next week, I tried to put these snippets together, with little luck.

When the new school term began, I asked my friends about their perfect ideas for a tenth birthday party. Many of the boys said they weren’t too fussed about any theme as long as there was cake and ice cream with not a vegetable in sight. Carl declared he would love a joyride to the moon as a birthday gift which set them all off on cakes shaped like rockets and other spaceships, like the starship Enterprise, Dr Who’s TARDIS, and the millennium Falcon from Star Wars.

Sandra sulkily said it didn’t matter what she thought of, her mother always made her a pink cake with pink icing in the shape of a love heart and she was thoroughly sick of it all. I asked her what she herself would choose and she admitted she had never given it much thought because her mum was so dead set on the pink thing. I immediately decided Sandra would be on my guest list and maybe her mother too, so she would see girls parties could be something other than pink.

As the afternoon wore on I had my idea and couldn’t wait to get home and tell Mum all about it. She thought it was a wonderful idea and quite a change from the usual “little girl” fairies and sparkles parties that had been common in the past few years. “I’ll speak to Dad about it when he gets home from the office and I think he’ll agree your idea shows how mature your thinking is becoming. Now, remember I can’t promise definitely, but I’ll do my best.”


Three months later, I was happily handing out invitations to a birthday afternoon tea at the Wishing Well Tea Rooms, for eight girls, three of the boys and their mothers. All invitations were accepted by the weekend and I happily began deciding what dress to wear. Last year’s birthday dress was out of the question, it was way too short now. I finally settled on the pale blue and cream lacy dress my grandmother had sent me for Christmas. She had died soon after, but the dress had been made from the enormous skirt of her wedding gown and when I wore it I could feel the ghost of my grandmother still loving me. 


The best part of the day wasn’t the flower filled party room, not even the wishing-well birthday cake. No, it was seeing Sandra’s mother gazing around at everything not-pink and hopefully getting some different ideas for Sandra’s future parties.


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar